Friday, September 4, 2015

My Journey to the Ranch (or joining the best high school in America)

As we all head into another busy work week, I want to take a quick trip down memory lane and recap my recent journey - about how I arrived at the Best High School in America...Cinco Ranch High School.

When I moved to Houston from Michigan, fresh out of college, I was excited - ready to work - and eager to learn, which is exactly how I feel as I write this blog today.  In 2007, I became a teacher and a coach, immediately upon arrival and I loved it, but little did I know, things would not always stay that way.  Somehow - after almost ten years - I realized that I didn't always love where I was and all of the components that surrounded me.  I needed more of something.  Maybe something was missing.

I needed to be somewhere new, somewhere fresh, where staff members were willing to grow, and stay lifelong learners.  I needed to be somewhere different.  Life has its moments of peaks and pits, plus it can be somewhat of a roller coaster at times.  We all know this, we've all experienced it at some time or another.  Being here at Cinco is one of my best peaks, and I'm very excited to tell people how fortunate I have been to arrive here.

My experiences in the last few years - before coming to Cinco - helped me to grow as an educator, learn from others, and forced me to gather more tools for my future plan toward success.  My journey to get into Katy ISD has definitely been the change that I wanted, yet for the struggles that came before today, I still am, so very thankful.  It was worth every moment because now, I don't sweat the small stuff.

A few years ago I started to pay closer attention to how many people were saying great things about Katy ISD. I listened intently as my friends shared their experiences from Cinco Ranch High School and the amazing words that they used to compliment its staff, administration, teachers, students, and programs.  They loved it here.  I wasn't sure if I believed it could all really be true though, because of the hardships I faced, I couldn't even imagine what "The Ranch" would really be like on a daily basis.  I knew that arriving to "The Ranch" was going to be my goal, but I had to be patient during the process of getting there.  Finding a place to fit in at the Best High School in America would not be easy, so I had to get to work.

I set out to get my Master's Degree, started getting more involved to take on responsibilities with curriculum and instruction and joined district cohorts to learn how to be a successful Instructional Coach.  Now, a few years later, I am beyond excited to experience the outcomes of my hard work and the reality of coming to this campus every day.  Cinco Ranch is amazing.  There is no other way to say it.  It's true.  You can walk into the building for just five short minutes and feel the reality of that statement.  The ICs I work with are so much fun and I enjoy all the teams that I get to be a part of.

The staff here is remarkable.  Everyone is willing to go above and beyond.  The leadership team and administration have been beyond welcoming, very resourceful and incredibly caring. No one lied to me when they said that everyone has family here, because in reality, I know that these staff members care about each other, and I learned that in just the first week.  I know that the Social Studies Department rocks, and they prove this to me every single day.  In my eyes, the bar has been raised in many areas. My struggle was real, but it was all worth it.  The professionalism here is apparent, and the happiness that these changes have brought to me personally, and my life, can be seen in my smile every day when I get to drive to the Best High School in America...Cinco Ranch High School.

Every day that goes by, I realize how truly blessed I am, and how thankful I am for this incredible opportunity.  I am beyond excited for this school year! Go Cougars!

Erica Robinson, Social Studies Instructional Coach

5 comments:

  1. Well said, Erica, we are so glad you found your way here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Good to have you with us, Erica! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way every single day...so blessed to have you join our team!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the information posted here is so nice and defining a well journey.

    Southeast Arizona Ranches for sale

    ReplyDelete